Rolls-Royce Camargue (developed code-named Delta) became the first serial car of company, the basket of that was created by foreign designers. The Italian bureau of Pininfarina got a task to produce the basket of Camargue, for setting on the undercarriage of Silver Shadow. The prosecution of this model started in Mulliner Park Ward in 1971. After five-year preparation the production of compartment of Camargue began in 1975.
Obliged by the local name on the south of France, where the herds of wild horse were led, this exclusive car targeted at clients preferring to manage to them independently and wanting to combine traditional «Rolls-Royce» quality with the stylish basket of handwork.
Rolls-Royce Camargue produced only in the 2-door variant of basket. On Camarg set «brand name» V-vivid motor, by volume of 6.8 L. High speeds that was developed by a car made 190 km/h. For 11 of production of model all a 531 copy is produced.
From 1978 a company Pressed Steel had to supply with the prepared bottoms of baskets to the firm Motor Panels in Coventry that made actually baskets and sent them in Crue. There they passed anticorrosive treatment, coloring and entered workshop of assembling. Camargue was produced only in a 2-door variant. A basket made impression heaviness. A car turned out long and wide. Length is a 5170 mm, widths are a 1920 mm, heights are 1470 mm and the wheel-base is 3048 mm.
Specialists are inclined to suppose that the features of style were adopted at Bentley Т, built for James Hanson in 1968, and at elegant FIАТ 130 Coupe. But on the whole the look of Camargue however turned out individual. A hood was decorated by the famous emblem of Rolls-Royce-Spirit of Ecstasy. There were four separate seats in a salon. This was first Rolls - Royce constructed with a metrical dimension and having row of front-rank descriptions, such as a multilevel acclimatization.
In 1986 produced the last series from 25 snow-white compartments with an interior from a red skin to order of the American dealer Rolls-Royce, on occasion of 80th anniversary of sale in the USA of the first car of brand. This series were completed the whole set of luxurious attributes from a telephone and leather CASE to the silver fountain-pen and silvered flasks with the monogram of proprietor. Over the years Camargue became the object of hunt of collectors.
An interior was made on higher standards, with the maximal amount of electric regulations and deployment of tree and skin in registration.
For the European market a machine was equipped by the four-barrel carburetor of Solex, and to the export machines went with the doubled carburetors’ of SU up to 1981, when they were substituted by the electronic system of injection of Bosch(for the Californian variety an injection was used from 1980).